Q.- When do we have to offer someone the right to continue their health coverage under COBRA?
A.- If your plan is subject to the federal COBRA laws, the right to a COBRA election should be offered to those covered under the health plan upon the following events:
- Termination of a covered employee’s employment for reasons other than gross misconduct;
- A reduction of a covered employee’s hours of employment that causes a loss of health coverage;
- A divorce or legal separation from a covered employee;
- Ceasing to be a dependent child under the terms of the plan;
- The covered employee becoming entitled to Medicare and losing eligibility for group health coverage; and
- An employer’s bankruptcy in the case of retiree plans.